"What hearts?" I shouted at Gigi, but she probably didn't hear me. Feeling doubtful, I turned around.
"Here goes nothing," I sighed as I went forward to the OB. There were red cutout paper hearts hanging from the ceiling inside the building.
I was totally expecting to see Ed; instead there was a tall, blonde guy who had quite a build. He seemed lost.
"Excuse me," he approached me, "where can I find the registrar's office?"
"Certainly not here," I laughed.
"That laugh seems quite familiar, have we met somewhere?" he asked.
"I don't think so." I said getting a closer look at his face.
"Addie?" he asked all of a sudden.
"How did you know my name?" I said, ready to scurry away.
"I'm Ralph" he said with a certain sparkle in his eyes, "Don't you remember me? I was at your farewell party."
Ralph?! It just couldn't be! Ralph wasn't this built up. "Are you serious? You? Ralph? What happened to you?" I said.
“Well, I needed a hobby,” he said with smile. That distinct 'Ralph' smile. The one that captured my heart. I hugged him tightly, almost instantly. "Oops," I said backing off, "we're not even that close. It was all shock, plain shock. I'm really, really sorry."
"You have no idea how long I've wanted that," he said pulling me back in. I heard someone's footsteps coming nearer and nearer.
"Addie?" his voice said. I quickly turned around. It was Ed. He dropped the bouquet of roses that he brought. "Is he the reason why you just couldn't be happy? Is he the old boyfriend?" he said, his face filled rage.
"He has nothing to do with us," I said defending Ralph.
"He does now," Ed said throwing a punch at Ralph while Ralph stood there, ready to get hit. He fell on his back because of the impulse.
"Is he the new boyfriend?" he said wiping of a streak of blood from his lips.
"No," I said pulling him up.
"Come on. Lemme take you to the school clinic, then we'll go to the registrar's office."
"Him?" Ed reacted ready to pull another punch.
"Stop this crud! Can we at least talk about it?" I said holding them back.
"Fine!" Ed said finally backing off.
"You guys, see me at home after school. Come on Ralph. I said.
"Can I come?" Ed said.
"No," I said plainly.
"Why not?" he said confused, "Why can't I come with you?"
"For one thing, he's the visitor not you. And if you remember, you were the one who started this mess, plus I'm still mad at you. Thanks for the effort though." I said walking away with Ralph.
We sat down on the couch at the clinic. While the nurse wasn't around, we agreed to make up an excuse. I couldn't afford to get Ed reprimanded; after all, I still like him. I eventually got bored so I roamed around the room while Ralph stayed on the couch. I saw a note from the nurse saying:
"To all students and staff, I'll be gone until 3:30 in the afternoon, please apply first-aid if needed. I left the kid on the cupboard." She was on a break, so I had to apply first aid on Ralph. I took the necessary materials from the medicine cabinet, and then sat beside Ralph.
"Stay still, this is going to hurt a bit." I said as I tried to apply medicine on his wounded lips.
"Ugh!" he said as the pain stung him.
"Hold still!" I said putting on some gauze, "there. Now, tell me, why'd you come here?"
"To study, I guess."
"But you had okay grades back in L.A. There must be something else."
"Honestly? You want the truth?" he said reluctantly as if trying to hide something.
"That's what I expect you to give me."
"Addie," he started nervously, "I... I need... I needed to see you." he looked down.
"What do you mean you need to see me? Uh, do you need a favor or something? You could've just texted, called or emailed me."
"It's not like that Ad, I've been thinking of you ever since you left." he sighed.
Uh wait... what? He never even notices me back in L.A., now this?
"That day you left, I was worried but happy at the same time. I worried and didn't even know why. All I knew was there was this uneasy feeling on my chest. And yet I was happy when I got to talk to you, it sorta eased the burden on my chest. That night, your face stuck in my dreams. I woke up the next morning and I couldn't get you off my mind. I went to school and checked if you were at the place you usually sat in the cafeteria, but then I remembered you weren't there anymore. Every time I close my eyes, you're all I see. Addie," he said staring into my eyes, "Will you be mine?"
Right then and there Gigi's words came into my head, "follow the hearts!" Did she mean to follow mine? Where am I supposed to go when my heart is falling behind?
No comments:
Post a Comment