Friday, January 14, 2011

Chapter 11 "What's she to you?"

"Iha! You're here!" greeted Tita Inday, one of Trina's aunts, "It's great to see you! Come in! Come in!"
They all welcomed me with their famous Filipino hospitality. Soon enough, I started enjoying myself.

"Kuya Edgar!" Trina suddenly called out, "'andito si Addie o! (look, Addie’s here) "

"Edgar, hali ka muna dito't samahan mo ang bisita mo. (come here and join your guest)" Tita Inday said to Eddie. Ed on the other hand turned snobbishly to me and asked, "Did you really come here for me?"

"No," I said. "Your titas, titos and pinsans invited me here. It's rude to refuse an invitation."

"Kita n'yo? Di naman sa akin bumibistita 'yan eh! (You see? I'm not the one she intends to visit anyway!)" he said going up the stairs.

"Forgive my nephew," Tito Bong said as we heard Ed slam the door behind him.

"No worries," I smiled as we continued talking.

All of a sudden, the doorbell rang. Tito Boy stood up to see who it was and called my name saying a person intended to see me.

"Sylvester? What a pleasant surprise, what are you doing here?"

"Madame Sierra wishes to see you," he said stretching his arms towards the limo.

"Addie, why didn't you tell me you had a limo?" Trina said with glimmering eyes.

"That's not mine, it's my aunt's. I think I have to go. But hey, thanks so much for having me here and spending some time with me. Do visit me before you guys leave for the Philippines, titos, titas and pinsans," I said before Sylvester escorted me to the limo.

Sylvester sped home. Expecting my mother to come, I dove into the Addie closet and tried to find me a decent dress. I took out my red Sunday's Best and quickly changed into it. Just as I was able to put it on, dad knocked on the door. "Addie?" he called out from the hall, "Code Lin."

"Why?" I asked sorta confused.

"The Daily 10's doing a special. Call Edward, too," he answered.

"It's Edgar, dad," I briefly corrected him.

"Right, right... Sorry dear. The crew will be over here in a while" he said as I heard heavy footsteps going down the stairs.

I quickly dialed the phone as I scanned the Lin closet. "Hello. This is Ramos' residence, Ed speaking."

"Hey Ed."

"Addie?" he said with a hint of enthusiasm in his voice.

"This is Lin."

"Oh," he said, his voice suddenly becoming bleak.

"Look, sorry for calling you at such a short notice, but I need you here right now."

"Why? Is anything wrong?" he said worriedly.

"Don't worry, there's nothing wrong. It's just that the daily 10's coming for an interview, dad said you're gonna be needed here. Up to it?" I said crossing my fingers, hoping he'd come.

"I'll be right over."

"That's a relief. By the way, do be sure to wear something presentable on national TV."

"Yeah, sure. I think I got just the thing," he said as he dropped the line.

I got in my pink mini skirt and white tank top slipped into my white doll shoes, put on my baby-blue contact lenses and Blondie wig. I quickly applied a touch of make-up, accessorized with a pink bracelet with a butterfly trinket and quickly ran down the stairs and sat down on the couch. It was quite weird for Lin to finish preparing this fast but I couldn't afford to be late this time.

‘Ding dong!’ went the doorbell. I made a quick visit to the mirror and then scurried to the front door. Just as I was about to open the door Sylvester blocked my way and insisted that I stay at the living room. "Sorry we're late," I heard the interviewer say as they came in, "I'm Cheska and this is Hal. I'm an intern at the Daily 10; my boss is out sick so I'll fill in for a while," her chitterish voice filled the hall, "where do we set up?"

"Come this way Madame." Sylvester said as he led them to the living room. I, on the other hand pretended to be busy by reading a book from dad's rack. "Oh you're here!" I smiled at them as I stood up to recognize their presence, "I'll go upstairs and call mom and dad. Please, do sit down."

"Oh, no, no!" she reacted almost instantly, "I came here for an exclusive on you and Mr. Ramos."

"Oh. Of course!" I smiled and sat back down; trying not to look worried as I gestured for her to take the seat next to mine.

"Where is this controversial boy?" she nudged me with her elbow.

"Oh, well... He's not here yet..." I said moving a bit further from her.

"Who's not here?" Ed said coming in with a fresh batch of brownies.

"Eddie!" I ran to him.

"Where's my hug?" he said with open arms. As soon as he got his arms around me, we devised a plan, under our breaths, then and there. Sure, Addie was the best friend but Lin was the partner-in-crime.

"Nice bracelet by the way," he said as I pulled away.

"You just love to surprise me, don't you?" I said as I my cheeks went wildly into a shade of pink.

"So, when do we start?" he said turning to Cheska. She, on the other hand, looked at the cameraman who gave her a nod.

"Now's a good time," she smiled at Eddie.

"Let's start then!" I said as I held Ed's hand. He led me to the couch and soon enough the interview started and went through smoothly, before I knew it, we were done.

"Thank you so much. You don't know how much this could help me," Cheska said gripping my hand with a smile.

"Glad to have helped," I smiled back at her.

I closed the door behind me as soon as they sped off. "Here," I said, handing Ed a hundred dollar bill.

"Thanks," he said looking bemused, "but that really isn't what I came here for. I just want to talk to Addie, say sorry. I'd like to tell her the truth about you and me."

"Addie's not here." I said, hoping he'd drop the subject and find another time to talk about it.

He looked alarmed. "But the limo she was on is already parked outside, how come she's not here?"

"We dropped her off at their school..." I said.

"What the she hell would she be doing there? It's past 8."

"Oh, for heaven's sake, she's no child! I have full confidence that she can handle herself. I can assure you that you don't have to worry," I said in a confident tone, "Come on, I'll sure she'll be home soon. Why don't we have dinner while waiting?"

"Dinner? How am I supposed to have dinner when my mind's off to her safety? No, I can't stay any longer. I'm going to have to look for her."

"What's she to you anyway?" I said, trying to suppress my blood from flowing to my face.

"She's someone I just can't afford to lose," he finally said, closing the door behind him.

No comments:

Post a Comment