Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chapter 4 “A taste of the truth”


Later that afternoon I decided to visit Eddie to check on him and cheer him up. “Good afternoon Mrs. Ramos,” I greeted Eddie’s mom, “is Eddie around?”
“Come in, come in,” she said as she welcomed me, smiling. “Edgar may bisita ka! (Edgar! You have a visitor)” Mrs. Ramos called out to Eddie. “You must be Addie. Eddie’s told the family a lot about you.”
“He hasn’t said anything about the chicken curry accident, right?”
“What chicken curry accident?”
“Uh... Never mind,” I smiled to myself relieved.
“Eddie’s right in his room,” She smiled sweetly.
“Is it all right if I go up there?”
“As long as there’s ‘nothing’ that’s gonna happen, it’s completely fine.”
“Don’t worry. Nothing's going to happen,” I laughed as I climbed up the stairs.
I met a girl half way down the stairs. She had black hair, wearing a large black graphic tee that reached half way her thighs and pink leggings. She looked like she was around my age. She eyed me head-to-toe, observing every inch of me.
“Trina, it’s not good to stare,” Ed scolded from upstairs. “Pardon my little sister, Addie,” he said, forcing a smile.
“Ed, you’re not supposed to get up!” I said rushing to him.
“It would be rude to leave my guest alone.”
I smiled, “You’re too much of a gentleman. Come on, you better rest.”
I led him to his room and put him to bed. “What a mess, you seem like you need help,” I said taking a look at his room. There were clothes, books, and CD’s scattered around the room.
“No help necessary, the place is still habitable.” He said nervously as if trying to hide something
“Non-sense” I said starting to pick up some of his laundry.
He tried to stop me but when he tried to stand up, a lucky migraine stopped him. I started piling up his clean clothes and putting the laundry in the basket. I gathered all the CD’s and books and returned them to their proper places. I took a good look of the room.
Finally I was done, or so I thought. I took a peek under the bed it was quite clean ‘xcept for a few pieces of crumpled paper. I straightened them out, straightening them out. I was dumbfounded with what I saw.
There were four pieces of paper:
One wrote;
Eddie and Lin Addie Ramos
And another;
Edgar “Eddie” Ramos - 12 (sweethearts)
Adeline “Addie” Ramos- 16 (married)
                                28 (married)
Then another;
I searched

I searched for someone I never found
I reached for something as high as the stars
I waited for someone who never came
I played something that wasn’t my game

I thought she was my everything, but she’s not
‘Cause you’re the one who’s given me what I got
I’ve been blinded but now I see
How it was destined to be you and me

I’ll stay with you ‘til the end
I’ll be there as a lover and a friend
Addie, I’ll be straight to the point
I love you, I want you to know, that I really do

And lastly;








“I have to leave,” I said turning to Eddie. I dropped the papers, grabbed my bag and went for the stairs.
“Addie! Wait! Let me explain!” He ran after me.
“You don’t need to explain yourself at all. I completely get it. All you have to do is go to bed and get some rest. I’ll have to do some thinking. Get well soon, and don’t forget to drink your medicine,” I said to him with a smile. I opened the door and saw Trina by the door, “Please take care of Ed for me.”
I ran for home. I couldn’t stop my tears from flowing. As soon as I reached our porch I fell down on my knees. I really didn't know why I was crying, but my eyes just leaked involuntarily. Tears ran down on my cheeks when Bea found me.
“Addie? Addie! Oh no, stop crying,” She said putting her arms around me.
“Why didn’t he tell me before I made the useless effort to forget him?” I said, trying to cover up my crocodile tears.
“Oh sis, come here. You can cry all you want,” she said holding me closer.
“Come on, it’s getting darker,” she said pulling me up. She guided me in. But before I stepped inside our house, I took one last glance outside, let out one big sigh and turned away..

No comments:

Post a Comment